[shr, others?] Flash drive mounted with "sync" option

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Mon Jun 29 10:56:28 CEST 2009

> Since users don't like to manually unmount their devices, and developers
> really don't like when users blame them for unrecoverable data loss,
> default is to mount sync.

Thank you for reminding me of that.  You might be right that it is was
a developer's choice, but if so it was a very poor design decision.
The benefit of avoiding an fsck is quite modest, especially with
journaled file systems.  And, unless there's something I'm missing, a
sync'd flash filesystem is unusably slow on the Freerunner.

Here is an example of how I installed SHR onto a free partition on my
SD card today:

  zcat openmoko-shr-image-*-om-gta02.rootfs.tar.gz | ssh -v
root at 192.168.0.202 tar -C /media/mmcblk0p2 -xf -

  With "sync":  All day to untar the distribution (no exact time, xfr canceled)
  Without "sync":  570 seconds to untar the distribution

--Ben