SHR first impression : it's slow ?

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Sun Mar 1 19:01:44 CET 2009

Joel Newkirk wrote:
> BTW - the speed with which those icons scroll is how fast the main
> Illume icons /should/ be able to be dragged, but with the Illume theme
> as it currently stands (with FSO M5 and SHR at least) each 'desktop'
> icon is adorned with multiple transparent PNG files layered to create
> pretty buttons, and scrolling becomes dramatically slower than what you
> are probably familiar with from the base ASU theme with 2008.x.
>
> I (and surely others) am working on a leaner, faster theme - any
> eye-candy that distinctly impacts the user experience should NOT be
> default, and in this case we desperately need a simple and fast theme
> as the default or the immediate impression users will get is: "Damn,
> this is slow!"

Well, I think that the configuration panel icons can be dragged really
quickly. I'm using e17-svn with the default theme and the
software-x11-16 engine and the finger scrolling there is very fast and
generally smooth.

The main issue stays in the desktop, where the icon-dragging is really
very slow. This must be really fixed.

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/