GTA03 Touchscreen Capacitive (was Re: OT: iPhone howto)

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Mar 2 11:59:14 CET 2009

William Kenworthy wrote:

> I can see the reasons for this ($'s in the door), but theres no reason
> the gta04 wont be more like what we want.  Even if its still got a
> 640x480 screen, I wont be buying a gta03 unless it BOTH is an advance on
> the FR (which means it stays with a resistive screen), and I can
> actually see and test its working. (once bitten, twice ...)

I don't plan on bying new phones too often, certainly not just because
some new model came out. It'd ahve to have a clear advantage too.

But there is nothing wrong in them having two lines of phone - one with
hacker appeal and one with mass-market appeal to bring in the money.

The hacker phones will be smaller series, but they attract people who
does lots of free development. Lots of open-source apps, many which will
work fine on the mass-market phones as well, making them more popular.

If the mass-market phone succeeds, then they will be made in large
series. That makes it possible to get more interesting parts, perhaps
even 3G someday. Of course, some of these mass-purchased parts can go
into the next small-series of hackerphones has well.

Helge Hafting