Context based usage of the 'AUX' button

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Mar 2 12:07:42 CET 2009

c_c wrote:
> Hi,
>   The freerunner and 1973 have only 2 buttons. While the power button is
> being used for suspend and for switching off, the 'AUX' button seems under
> utilised. I was wondering whether there could be a method added to FSO that
> allowed overloading of this button based on the context. For eg :-
>
> 1.   Under normal circumstances (not in a call or app - that could change
> this usage), the button could be used for selecting between 3 brightness
> settings in rotation.

With SHR, the normal use for AUX is to lock/unlock the screen. This is
useful when you can't suspend, but still want to put the phone in a
pocket where accidental pressing may happen.

For example, when the gps is in use when walking/bicycling/skiing. AUX
protects against wrong keypresses that at worst could stop the gps
logging. And AUX is also easy to press - even with gloves - in order to
take a quick look at the map.

Helge Hafting