Freerunner freely runs Gentoo

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 16:25:18 CET 2009

2009/3/3 Sven Rebhan <odinshorse at googlemail.com>

> Hello everybody,
>
> We the Gentoo at Openmoko team are pleased to announce that we reached
> our first milestone for running Gentoo on the Freerunner. This mean you can
> cross- and natively compile a basic system including X, enlightenment,
> the FSO framework, WLAN tools and many more packages. Also some
> phone GUIs went already into the overlay located at

Great!

  - the Gentoo feeling ;-)
>  - forget about version conflicts
>  - frequent enlightenment updates
>  - easy integration of new packages
>    (start writing ebuilds yourself, it's trivial!)
>  - multiple phone stacks
>  - CHOICE

"Because Gentoo is about choice we do *not* focus on a single software stack
but rather provide the user with alternatives to choose from" is what I like
more in gentoo.

I'll be very happy to switch from illume to matchbox every time I need :)

> So to all Gentoo lovers: Stop-by and get the experience the Gentoo
> feeling on your phone!

Ok! I'll search for updated instructions somewhere, building everything is
fascinating, but please provide a stage3 :)

> Disclaimer: Even though we did a great step in the right direction,
> there are still enough pitfalls, packages that don't compile and
> difficulties in setting up the cross-compile environement. So at this
> point in time Gentoo is _NOT_ ready for the average user. If you try
> nevertheless, be prepared for a bumpy journey! You have been warned!
>
> Best regards and happy compiling! ;-)

I think now is the time to give a try to nfs over usb :)

Regards

       Nicola