GTA03 Touchscreen Capacitive (was Re: OT: iPhone howto)

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 19:09:32 CET 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009, Margo Koppelmann wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Johny Tenfinger <seba.dos1 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Now I know, that I won't want to buy GTA03, even if I had enough money
> > (ok ok, if only i was some millionaire i would buy it, but until i'm
> > not, there are other possibilities to spend money :P). My using
> > scenario of touch screen of Linux based phone needs resistive screen.
> > Capacitive is not an option.
>
> But if the GTA03 would have a hardware keyboard and some joystick or
> trackball or something like this to use as a mouse, then the
> capacitive screen would not be a problem.

Again that depends on usage scenario. For example can you sign your name with
a trackball? Or use one with gloved hands?

This is a case where there is AFAIK no one size fits all sensing technology;
if there was then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Going to a capacitive
screen will allow GTA03 to be used in some scenarios where GTA02 can't, and
vice versa.