[FSO] DBus Remote - missing package socat - for writing remote sms-tool

Bastian Muck bastian.muck at gmx.de
Tue Mar 3 21:20:12 CET 2009

Hi all,

I'm playing a little with DBus and JAVA. THe first communication just
works fine. I heart, that it is possible to let the local DBus, in my
case a PC, communicate with a remote DBus, in my case the Freerunner
(what else?). In [1] is described how to achieve the remote connection.
The author writes, that the remote system has to have installed socat,
but I can't find it in the repository (FSO MS5). Is it possible that
someone can compile it for me? That would be great.

Perhaps I should say, for which application I want to use this. Maybe
that there is a better way.

I want to write a sms-application for the desktop, which sends the
messages via the freerunner. Another way, which came in my mind was
writing a server (java.rmi) which makes the dbus-connection and a
client, which just connects to rmi. But in my mind the first solution
looks better because you don't need an extra server.

Any comments and hints are welcome.

[1]
http://www.eldemonionegro.com/wordpress/archivos/2008/05/22/howto-to-intercomunicate-processes-in-differentremote-machines-through-dbus

Greetings Bastian