[All] To build a better music player

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Mar 4 16:25:54 CET 2009

>> FYI, there is a new version of pythm available on opkg.org
> I only miss one little thing
> When you add an entire directory to playlist, tracks are alphabetically
> ordered, but, if exists, they should be ordered by track # (from ID3 or ogg
> tags).

This turns out to be a tricky problem.

> I have a lot of disks without track number on track name, only identified by
> track# on id3/ogg

And other people have directories with files that aren't part of
a single album, so the track numbers are not related.

Also, there are multi-CD albums, where you may have a single directory
with all the songs for all the CDs in the album, so you'd then need to
sort by disknumber+tracknumber.

The current solution is the easiest and also the most flexible: no
matter how you organize your directories, it should be pretty easy for
you to fix your file names such that they get sorted in the order
you like.

        Stefan