[All] To build a better music player

David Garabana Barro david at garabana.com
Wed Mar 4 21:41:59 CET 2009

O Mércores, 4 de Marzo de 2009, Stefan Monnier escribiu:

> Except that those ID3 tags have a clear meaning, and "fixing them" to
> get the sorting to work may imply "breaking them" in the sense that the
> info they carry is not quite correct any more.
> Tho, I guess it depends on the details: in which way did you change the
> ID3 info to solve such problems?

No, I don't break them for sorting to work, Simply I correct them so I avoid
ambiguities.

For antologies (or double/triple albums)
* Put the same "disk name","year" and "artist name" labels in every track,
* Set "track number" and "track name" labels for every track
* Set "disk number" label for diferenciating tracks from a disk from tracks
from another

For compilations,
* Put the same "disk name" and "year" in every track
* Set "artist name", "track number" and "track name" for every track
* Set "disk number" if needed

That way, my labels are *completely correct*, and every well behaved player
can order my tracks by album...

> I name them "<DISK>-<TRACK> <TITLE>" and it works great ;-)

Yes, but I have not them named that way ;)

> >> sorting "by file name" really turns out to be a very good solution.
> >
> > Not for me ;)
>
> Because you find "changing ID3 tags" to be simpler than "changing
> file names".

No, because I already have all my music with correct id3 tags, but not with
homogenous filenames. Doing nothing is simpler than renaming my 15000+
songs :)

> An algorithm that uses both ID3 tags and filenames (mostly just
> directory names, actually) should be able to accomodate all situations.

I hope so

--
David Garabana Barro
jabber & google talk ID:	david at garabana.com