Feedback on FSO 5.1

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 06:13:35 CET 2009

Hi,
  I've been using FSO 5.1 for some time now and here is some (late - I know)
feedback. I'm using 5.1 with Qi and the standard kernel.
1.  The snd_soc_neo1973_gta02_wm8753, modprobe snd-pcm-oss modules do not
get loaded automatically on startup.
2.  I also need to set up the stereoout.state after startup.
3.  Need to install libmad to get mp3 ringtones working.
4.  After requesting resource Display / CPU and releasing them - automatic
dimming and suspending stops working (I'm using a rule to suspend the
freerunner if it's not charging). I think there is a fix for this already.
5.  Need the devel packages for elementary. I've tried the svn and the new
version has neat sliders. Can we look at moving to the newer version or is
that unlikely because of the probable dependencies on eina/ecore etc? In
that case can we have the devel versions in the repository?
6.  Can you point me to some place where I can read up on how to patch the
build process for FSO packages? I want to patch mplayer to use tremor
instead of libvorbis. It's an option in mplayer (and there might be some
breakage too) but where and how so I start any of such stuff?
7.  Can rules.yaml be made more flexible such as for eg to allow me to use
the aux button to choose amongst three volume settings during a call?
8.  And to have user configurable brightness settings apart from changing
rules.yaml and reloading the rules. (Maybe the values could be picked up
from another file and used thereafter. Just a thought.)
9.  Would like to know how to get my bluetooth headset working in the
interim - till things get all set up in FSO itself. :-)
10.  frameworkd uses upto 70% CPU when changing cells. This is for a brief
period - but 70%? Isn't that too high? Or is that hit because of python -
something we need to live with or are there (possible) methods for reducing
such usage to more acceptable limits?
Thanks.