Free email to SMS

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Thu Mar 5 17:15:10 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 11:53 -0400, Will Siddall wrote:
> Hey Pander,
> This is a great tool but it does have it's limitations.  Most of the
> time, you have to be aware of what you attach to your emails and how
> many characters you use.  Just the sheer fact that you can send emails
> to an SMS receiver is still great though.
> One down fall is the SMS receiver's carrier.  Some carriers are
> starting to restrict use of the email-to-SMS conversion (to some
> degree) a paid service.  I live in Canada and the only GSM provider in
> the area is Rogers.  They've completely locked out this service to a
> degree that if you receive an SMS from email, the receiver is notified
> that a message has arrived and will have to agree to pay a fee to
> receive it.
>
> Unless someone has found ways around this matter, I would look into it
> a bit more before you start sending off massive amounts of joke mail
> to all of your phone pals.
>
> Will

Rogers used to charge $5 extra if you wanted to receive unlimited email
to SMS. Somewhere in the small print there was probably a limit to the
unlimited though.

I also found a package that would interface directly to Rogers ( and
Fido's ) html to text gateways. It would even split the email into
separate messages if it became to long. I don't remember the name of the
package and IIRC the maintainer was talking about dropping it because
rogers was changing the html every couple of weeks to mess with the
interface.

Angus