Pulster fixe(s) and rework

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:20:36 CET 2009

2009/3/5 Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca>:
> I'd love to see a good answer to those questions.  Currently, it's
> unusable as an MP3 player and that's an important use for me (if
> I could use it as an MP3 player, I'd carry it with me that much more
> often, which would in turn increase my use of it).

Have you tried tweaking the alsa profiles and set Bass Filter to
either 100Hz @ 8kHz (== 600Hz @ 48kHz) or 200Hz @ 8kHz (== 1200Hz @
48kHz) and Bass Boost to 15? I find the quality just fine for eg.
in-car music playing. Even when using headphones (Koss KSC-35) I find
the quality acceptable, even though the color of the sound is not
completely neutral.

I tend to prefer 200Hz @ 8kHz, and probably the high-pass filter
effect of the output on Neo is indeed quite high, though sometimes I
wonder if the midrange is overemphasized with that setting still.

I was planning to see about playing back a frequency sweep on Neo, but
seemingly forgot about it. Anyway, I now put one 20Hz-20000Hz sweep
file at http://users.tkk.fi/~tajyrink/moko/20-20k_60s.ogg (vorbis
quality 8, should be good enough), if someone with proper(ish)
recording equipment can record with eg. 100Hz @ 8kHz and 200Hz @ 8kHz
settings with Bass Boost at some level like 15. I don't know what
quality an average motherboard "HD" Audio recording is, but will try
it anyway myself at some point with various settings to see what kind
of slopes one gets.