Musings on Android, OpenMoko and Linux on phones

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Fri Mar 6 01:27:02 CET 2009

Mikko, thanks for this posting. I almost agree with everything. Although
in "the age of Android" it's kind of tough to motivate people working on
a truly free GNU/Linux stack, I'm sure we (as in freesmartphone.org and
Openmoko Inc.) are doing the right thing.

You might know I'm still actively working on OpenEZX support for FSO and
just recently I aquired an HTC Touch Pro to help these guys getting a
free GNU/Linux stack as well. Sadly, 90% of these guys (same as MOTO
hackers btw.) are just interested in what Android offers, so it's kind
of hard for me to convince them to work on e.g. standard kernel
interfaces. I won't give up though :)

One last note. Although I'm one of the fathers of OpenEmbedded, I can
see how you prefer a stock Debian underneath FSO. And tell you what... I
support that. I love it. I also love the Gentoo initiative and OpenWRT.
As long as we speak the same middleware and can run the same
applications, I don't care what runs us.

Thanks again,