Feedback on FSO 5.1

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 05:01:36 CET 2009

Hi,
  It seems like I always end up having a conversation with you whenever I
talk about anything to do with FSO. Thanks for being so patient :-)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

>> 1.  The snd_soc_neo1973_gta02_wm8753, modprobe snd-pcm-oss modules do not
>> get loaded.
> This is strange, that works here.

Well, there are more people having this prob - see
http://n2.nabble.com/-fso--no-sound-card-td2423797ef1958.html#a2433819 this
. Probably another qi vs uboot issue (I'm guessing though).

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

>> 3.  Need to install libmad to get mp3 ringtones working.
> That's expected... patents...

  Ahh! I wondered why I had to do the same thing everytime. Sad.

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> 5.5 will contain newer packages. Our unstable feed should contain newer
> ones as well.

Well, I can't find any elementary packages on any feed (upwards of 5.1) on
downloads.freesmartphone.org. In fact, I wanted to go back to the packages
used in 5.1 after I got some from the openmoko feeds - and I couldn't.

Are the packages in openmoko feed (which Angus says are from
git://git.openembedded.org branch fso/milestone5) going to be the ones
you'll be using in 5.5? The version is svnr39300-r4.

<rant>I'm trying to move over to elementary for good (being finger friendly
and all!). That would mean newer versions of guitartuner/intone/(some name
based on opensync)sync all using elementary. But I've been going back and
forth between gtk and elementary - since I can't get anything to (cross)
build and run on the phone.</rant over>

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> Packaging issues are OE issues, as we build Openmoko out of OE. Please
> have a look at OE's wiki. Feel free to ask further questions on
> openembedded-devel at lists.openembedded.org.

  There is already a libvorbisidec in the openmoko feeds. Has mplayer
already been built to use tremor? Actually, mplayer has the option to use
tremor - it just needs to be set during build. And it needs libvorbisidec
(which is what you get after building tremor). I'll move over to unstable
and check.

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> I'm not sure whether this is in the scope of oeventsd. It's merely a
> convenience layer and I expect real applications (not Zhone) handling
> these things on their own, without going through the rules.

  OK. So maybe I need to direct that part of the feedback to the paroli
team. It would be something that the dialer app will need to handle in that
case. I thought rules might let me add that even if the dialer app doesn't.

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> Sure thing, as much as we pick the audio ringtone from the preferences, we
> should do the same with brightness.

  Nice. Hopefully that will be solved soon.

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> Please see the lists, Jan posted a howto for that.

Found it. See
http://n2.nabble.com/Problems-with-ASoC-and-Bluetooth-routing-td2388998ef1958.html#a2388998
this .

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> .... an FSO phase 2, which is about reimplementing frameworkd in a
> compiled language -- based on the lessons learned.

Ah! That makes sense.