Pulster fixe(s) and rework

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Fri Mar 6 13:17:41 CET 2009

2009/3/6 Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no>

> You misunderstand. I did not propose to do only one channel.
> I planned on shorting both the small caps. Then, instead of one big cap
> on each of the stereo lines: LEave the stereo lines connected as-is.
> Break the ground line (which is common to both channels) and insert a
> single big cap there instead. Slightly less work, and perhaps a bigger
> capacitor will fit. (It'd probably have to be bigger too, as the two
> channels often enough have the same signal.)

I'm not an electrical engineer, but won't this increase the bleed between
left and right channels? Because, for instance, while the left is at 0V and
the right is higher, the "ground" side of the right speaker will be
connected, effectively, to two grounds, one via an inductive load and one
via a capacitative load. I'd guess some current will flow through each, and
the less transient the voltage on the right output, the greater the
proportion that will flow through both speakers. I guess this could possibly
lead to speaker burnout if the headphones had low power ratings...

This is all based on my vague understanding that one of the primary purposes
of inline capacitors on audio outputs is to prevent DC current through the
load.

Sorry if I've got this hopelessly wrong.

Sam