Detecting ethernet gadget connections

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Fri Mar 6 15:08:45 CET 2009

This may be intentional, because the usb0 interface continues to exist whether it's connected or not.  udev generally concerns itself with devices which hotplug in and out of existence.  In the case of g_ether, you can set the IP on it and it'll just keep it forever.

Also if you want to make an issue of this, it looks to me like you may want to contact the kernel team instead.  The ethernet gadget module is present even in vanella linux kernels.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

On Thursday 05 March 2009 12:14:19 you wrote:

> I opened a ticket on that a while ago...
> https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2178
> No progress in 3 months...
>
> Citando Daniel Benoy <daniel at benoy.name>:
>
> > I'm working on a script that will detect which network interfaces
> > are connected and mess with the routing accordingly, but I'm having
> > trouble detecting whether my USB ethernet gadget connection is up or
> > down.
> >
> > ----
> > ethtool when it's up:
> > lisa:~# ethtool usb0
> > Settings for usb0:
> > 	Link detected: yes
> >
> > ethtool when it's down:
> > lisa:~# ethtool usb0
> > Settings for usb0:
> > 	Link detected: yes
> > ----
> >
> > Unlike on the host side, the usb0 interface doesn't appear and
> > disappear, allowing udev scripts to bring up/down the interface.
> >
> > Anyone know if there's a way to detect that a network connection has
> > actually been established?
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Benoy
> > http://daniel.benoy.name