How to use other applications with Paroli fullscreen?

Scott Petersen scott at slal.net
Sat Mar 7 20:04:16 CET 2009

Mirko Lindner wrote:
> Hi,
> > I've been tracking OM unstable.  Now that Paroli is starting at boot
> > with a full-screen I can't figure out how to start any other
> > applications outside of using ssh.  Then once started the application
> > doesn't have the Illume top-bar available to do any of the functions it
> > provided such as application switching or ending the program.  I tried
> > killing paroli-launcher.  That left me with a black-screen.
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing?
> >
> No you aren't missing anything. Our goal is to provide a distribution
> that allows the user to use the gta02 as a daily phone. In order to
> achieve this faster we decided to make certain sacrifices to save time
> and energy, as our team is only small. One of these was worrying too
> much about integrating in illume.
>
> To put it in one sentence:
>
> for Now the paroli image comes with these styles installed. We hope we
> can change that in the future. There is a way of "reactivating" the old
> style, I will try to compile a document and publish it here.
>
> /mirko

I too have been tracking the unstable images and slowly digging in to
the code to try and contribute.

First the answer:

You can get back to using illume by logging in with SSH and doing

opkg remove paroli-autostart
rm -rf /home/root/.e
reboot

You should then get the illume launcher on next boot and be able to
launch  paroli as a regular application.  There are still problems with
the sizing as the current paroli only works properly as a stand alone
application. It does have a setting in /etc/paroli/paroli.cfg to turn
off standalone but not all the applications, particularly the dialer,
honour it as the screen is too large and the bottom portion is cut off.

Second a bit of a rant:

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in this decision to
prevent users from using the functionality of their phone. Why would
anyone want to purchase a piece of hardware with as much promise as the
freerunner and not be able to use it for anything but what a sub $50
dollar phone has been able to do for years? It just doesn't make sense
to me when it seems so easy to shrink paroli down a little bit and use
illume. I have wondered for some time about why Paroli was duplicating
functionality from illume. (e.g. the Battery level) Now I understand and
I am flabbergasted. Yes I do want stable phone functionality but not at
the expense of all other functionality.

Scott Petersen