How to use other applications with Paroli fullscreen?

digger vermont dv_mlist at verizon.net
Sun Mar 8 19:40:47 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 23:12 -0500, Mirko Lindner wrote:
> Hi,
> > I've been tracking OM unstable.  Now that Paroli is starting at boot
> > with a full-screen I can't figure out how to start any other
> > applications outside of using ssh.  Then once started the application
> > doesn't have the Illume top-bar available to do any of the functions it
> > provided such as application switching or ending the program.  I tried
> > killing paroli-launcher.  That left me with a black-screen.
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing?
> >
> No you aren't missing anything. Our goal is to provide a distribution
> that allows the user to use the gta02 as a daily phone. In order to
> achieve this faster we decided to make certain sacrifices to save time
> and energy, as our team is only small. One of these was worrying too
> much about integrating in illume.
>
> To put it in one sentence:
>
> for Now the paroli image comes with these styles installed. We hope we
> can change that in the future. There is a way of "reactivating" the old
> style, I will try to compile a document and publish it here.
>
> /mirko

Mirko, thanks for your reply.  However like Scott Petersen, I
unfortunately feel the need to rant.

I find the decision frustrating.  I guess I don't see why Illume and
Paroli are at such odds.  With Paroli's current direction it seems to
mean that if I want to help develop Paroli, as it is meant to be used, I
must give up using the FreeRunner for anything else.  By isolating
Paroli in that way it may have the effect of even more fragmentation of
community resources and less people joining in on its development.  I'll
tell you, it makes me feel less enthusiastic.

My desire is to be developing on the FreeRunner.  Paroli seems like a
good way to go.  I enjoy working with Python, Edje, and now learning
Elementary.  To that end I have been experimenting with Paroli toward
the goal of integrating "FSO Control"[0] into it.  Unfortunately the
time when I can do that is sporadic and, due to those constraints, I
can't just plain say, "Yes I will be helping with Paroli."  So my
frustration is also that I can't commit my own support to any large
degree in an effort to steer Paroli's direction.

digger

[0]There is a new release, version 0.2.0, at
   https://projects.openmoko.org/frs/?group_id=225
   I've had problems with opkg.org and haven't had time to make a
   proper announcement.