Freerunner GSM Buzz fix, warranty and hopes...

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 9 12:37:36 CET 2009

Helge Hafting wrote:
> Mike (mwester) wrote:
> [...]
>> Good email, and good questions.  But apparently, the only answer is
>> total silence from Openmoko and the resellers.
>>
>> The term here would be "stone-walling".
>>
>> So, Openmoko -- any answers?  Or nothing but continued silence?  Can you
>> at least tell us why you have nothing to say?
>>
>> -Mike (mwester)
>>
>> (But, hey, at least this original email didn't get the normal flaming
>> should be happy that Openmoko gives you anything, it's such hard work,
>> and you have no right to expect that it actually works as advertised!",
>> with the occasional personal insult that people who cannot do
>> surface-mount soldering should not have purchased the phone in the first
>> place.  Sigh.)
>
> A question is what exactly what advertised.
> I read this page before buying: http://openmoko.com/product.html
> It says there is an audio output, so one shuld expect it to "work".
> There is nothing about "hi-fi" sound quality though, so perhaps they get
> away with the weak bass. Talking works, .oggs work although the quality
> isn't excellent.
>
> As for the buzz, it depends on how bad it is. If the other end can't
> hear you properly then it is a defect. If they get some background noise
>   that don't prevent the use as a phone, then it merely is a phone of
> low but useable quality.

In my opinion and that of the people I have on the other end of the
line: lower quality then one might expect for a modern day telephone.
E.g. for business conversation or important calls that need normal
quality, I have to use another telephone. when people ask me what the
buzz is, I feel reluctant to tell it is an Openmoko device because of
the bad publicity.

I'm trusting OpenMoko will come forth with a proper solution.