Flashing GSM firmware

Steve " 'dillo" Okay armadilo at roadknightlabs.com
Mon Mar 9 17:28:20 CET 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 00:44 , Tom Yates wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
>
>> rootfs is a standard FSO-console MS5 patched to fix "doesn't boot
>> on r/o
>> mounted fs" issue. Kernel is recent Andy tracking with GSM sysfs node
>> patch created originally by PaulFerster based on my suggestions.
>
> then, thank you to all of those people.
>
>> MOKO11 was a corporate work involving quite a number of people on
>> IRC,
>> mainly PaulFerster, Werner, Lindi (iirc), and me. Dieter checked
>> for the
>> bugs we spotted and fixed them in calypso's FW.
>
> that's interesting, i hadn't realised that any people in openmoko had
> access to the calypso firmware source; i thought the project was still
> dependent on TI fixing bugs as the community found them.  good to hear
> this is not so, and thanks to those above who are improving it!
>
>> The uSD image was entirely created, tested and published by me.
>> Original idea: roh.
>
> then thanks to the both of you, too.  one of my showing-off points
> for the
> 'moko is the way that custom distributions can be created to do
> specific,
> complex tasks; this is a perfect example.
>
> and to paul fertser: i happily concede that it's perfectly possible
> to do
> the firmware upgrade using the very precise and helpful
> instructions on
> the wiki, and thanks for reminding people that this works fine.
>
> the attraction of the SD-based method to me was that neither the tools
> (nor any dependencies they may drag in during the install) have to
> live on
> my 'moko in normal operation, with their attendant (though doubtless
> small) risk of destabilising it; i run the phone environment when
> it's a
> phone, and the upgrading environment when it's upgrading the
> firmware, and
> ne'er the twain shall meet.

I would like to add to this that, while it's not desirable to have
the tools and SD image on your
phone, it is possible. When I found out about the SD-based method, I
was surrounded by Macs
and my nearest Linux system with an SD-card reader was either in my
pocket or 7K miles back home :)
So I cleaned out some stuff on my GTA02 and was able to download the
SD image onto it and dd that onto the
uSD in my FR and reboot. The flashing procedure was successful and
now all my SIMs work.

----Steve