Using the FR as a bluetooth /wifi modem

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 19:05:44 CET 2009

On Monday 09 March 2009, KaZeR wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> Last week i was in holidays, far away from home. And the Internet.
> So i took my laptop, and setup a gprs connection using my Sony phone. Using
> bluetooth it's done within a breath : setup a rfcomm channel to the
> bluetooth serial port channel and you're almost done, using wvdial
>
> So two things came to my mind :
> 1) it would be nice to be able to do the same thing using the FR.
> 2) it would be even nicer to share the gprs connection from the FR using
> wifi
>
> Anybody already tried this?

I expect it to work more like some other SonyEricsson phones that present a
USB or Bluetooth network interface and allow the connecting machine to get
networking details over DHCP. FSO has
org.freesmartphone.Network.StartConnectionSharingWithInterface to do this, but
I don't know whether it's been implemented yet.

AdHoc connections may be possible over WiFi, but we can't behave as a
basestation.