New splash screen with lots of logos

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Mar 11 02:35:41 CET 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:55:01 +0100
Pander <pander at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A new custom splash screen with lots of logos can be found here:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Configuring_the_boot_splash_screens#Alternative_instructions
>
> Regards,
>
> Pander

Personally I try to avoid splash screens, as they often end up
consuming resources I would prefer were dedicated to booting up a hair
faster. ;)

I use the attached /etc/init.d/banner, which works wonderfully with
Qi - it just displays a full-screen-sized OM logo formed from orange
ASCII characters. I have a variation of it that prints a random Lao Tzu
quote at the bottom, but I haven't figured out how to make it random
using /bin/sh, while using my preferred /bin/bash (of course not
installed by default) has problems displaying the logo. When used with
Qi, this logo may be the only thing displayed until X starts, and it
will reappear briefly when suspending/resuming/rebooting, which I
like.  Just drop it in /etc/init.d (there might be a "please wait,
booting" version of banner there already) and "ln
-s /etc/init.d/banner /etc/rcS.d/S03banner" if no previous banner
existed.