date and GPS related questions

Steve " 'dillo" Okay armadilo at roadknightlabs.com
Sat Mar 14 18:13:49 CET 2009

On Mar 14, 2009, at 02:35 , Fernando Martins wrote:

> Mike Montour wrote:
>> Fernando Martins wrote:
>>

>>> 1) I got the date reset to 1970 a few times. I was not paying
>>> attention
>>> but I guess this happens when battery is removed, i.e., there's no
>>> battery specific for the clock?
>>>

>> There is a backup battery. Make sure that the system time is being
>> saved
>> to the hardware clock, e.g. "hwclock --utc --systohc".
>>

> I'm sure I did it, per Wiki page (no --utc)
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Date. Next time I remove the battery,
> I'll
> pay more attention to the date.

It seems like it should be possible to also get the time from your
GSM carrier.
This kind of half-happens already.
When I flew back from Italy last week, I had a layover in DC and
swapped out my Voda SIM(which I finally got working :) ) for my T-
Mobile one.
The FR updated the clock from CET to EDT on registration, but remained
stuck on EDT even after I arrived in SF and was in the Pacific Time
Zone.

So the data can be pulled out somewhere, it's just not being done
consistently.

---Steve