date and GPS related questions

Daniel Willmann daniel at openmoko.org
Sun Mar 15 15:55:32 CET 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:36:29 +0100
Fernando Martins <fernando at cmartins.nl> wrote:

> Daniel Willmann wrote:
> > there is a backup battery, but in my experience it only takes a
> > couple hours without battery until the time is lost again.
> But now I wonder: usually I keep the phone switched off during the
> night, and since I use it rarely, sometimes I forget it switched off
> at home. Is it the case that, when FR is switched off, the main
> battery does not feed the backup battery? (yeah it sounds weird, the
> main battery would become the backup of the backup battery).

That should work. I'm trying to reproduce that now. Does that also
happen if you keep your FR switched off overnight or for a couple of
hours? After that happens is your main battery drained completely or is
it at about the same level before you turned your FR off?

> > So you're going in with a fix and when you come out you wont get a
> > fix any more? How long are you staying in the building?
> 1 hour is sufficient to become unable to get the fix back.

Okay, would be interesting to see what zhone says about the issue.

> I don't have zhone installed but from using tangoGPS I remember it
> stated always 0 SV on the sky (e.g. 8/0). I don't think in tangoGPS I
> can see how many have ephemeris data (I though all of them had it).

IIRC 8/0 means the GPS thinks there are 8 SVs in the sky, but it uses
0 for the fix.

> I'll install zhone and do the checks.

Great, thanks.

Regards,