date and GPS related questions

Fernando Martins fernando at cmartins.nl
Sun Mar 15 18:02:01 CET 2009

Daniel Willmann wrote:
>> But now I wonder: usually I keep the phone switched off during the
>> night, and since I use it rarely, sometimes I forget it switched off
>> at home. Is it the case that, when FR is switched off, the main
>> battery does not feed the backup battery? (yeah it sounds weird, the
>> main battery would become the backup of the backup battery).
>>

> That should work. I'm trying to reproduce that now. Does that also
> happen if you keep your FR switched off overnight or for a couple of
> hours? After that happens is your main battery drained completely or is
> it at about the same level before you turned your FR off?

It's not simple to give an accurate answer because I hardly need a
mobile and even rarely look at the FR time. When I notice the date was
reseted (which happened ~3 times in a couple of months) it's difficult
to associate it with what I've done with the battery.

Usually (but not always) I charge it in the evening before switching it
off (it's never fully charged because of GSM being ON). I don't recall
ever being surprised by a (almost) drained battery. I never let the
battery discharge completely (for known reasons). I will pay attention
to battery & date in the mornings. If there is some other specific
observation that could be useful let me know.
> IIRC 8/0 means the GPS thinks there are 8 SVs in the sky, but it uses
> 0 for the fix.

Yes, you are right.

Regards,
Fernando