date and GPS related questions

Fernando Martins fernando at cmartins.nl
Sun Mar 15 20:43:46 CET 2009

Daniel Willmann wrote:
> Okay, I can totally understand that. But in that case you only want to
> disable the timezone changes.
I assume the default is to have "automatic timezone changes" enabled. I
would like to go to a config file (no big need for UI) and change
"enabled" to "disabled" (or change 1 to 0). When I need to change the
date/time, I would go to an UI, which tests if (option=0 AND FR_timezone
<> local_timezone), a button labeled "Adjust to local timezone" would
become enabled.
> You would still want your time to be
> accurate to the second (of the timezone it is set to), would you not?

Personally yes, but I know people, as you also mentioned, who advance
their watches 5 min (or even 15 min) to help them be on time. Therefore
I am inclined to say that in this case an automatic change after moving
to another timezone should keep an existing shift on time. Is this
problematic?

Regards,
Fernando