date and GPS related questions

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 15 22:59:20 CET 2009

No, otimed sucks for a number of reasons (not the least being hard coded
to an NTP server somewhere in Europe) so control like you are after is
critical.

In Perth Australia, vodafone appears to have my location set to Lord
Howe Island - some 3000+ km away in the pacific - I am near the Indian
Ocean.  As well, I suspect they are not sending local time, but time as
it is in the eastern states (2hr diff).  Is there a way to get the gsm
to print the data as to what it thinks it is? - some command in
mickeyterm? - be nice to confirm and know what its actually doing as I
certainly cant trust the FR to get it right.

The freerunner by design seems unable to keep accurate time unless you
are in Europe ...

BillK

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 17:14 +0100, Fernando Martins wrote:
> Daniel Willmann wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand completely. I can't see why one wouldn't want
> > to set the proper time (maybe with an offset option for people
> > notoriously being late so they can set the clock to <real-time> + 5min).
> >
> > Could you explain some more what you mean by that?
> >
> Ok, this might not seem so rational, but it works for me: because I have
> to correct the time for several devices (wrist-watch, car, phone, etc),
> I just ignore all of those. In a couple of days, they'll be back to the
> correct time anyway :). The important point is that all my clocks are
> consistently wrong. If FR changes the timezone without me realising it,
> then I can be tricked into looking into the right time and wrongly add
> up one hour more on it. (it has happend that I fixed one clock and then
> get tricked by another - it can happen both under stress or total
> relaxation :-)
>
> That's why (consistency) I would prefer to have manual control of time
> changes on FR, but I'm starting to feel I'm the nut job here :-)
>

> Regards,
> Fernando

Home in Perth!