[QtExtended] some things

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 16 09:21:07 CET 2009

Hash: SHA1

Lorn Potter wrote:
> Quite actually, I was using the predictive keyboard long before anyone 
> on this list was, so yes, I have done this. Many times.

"Quite actually"??? Quite what? work on your english.

So you've done it, many times... awesome... I note however that you
didn't actually answer my question: How Long does it take? and now, how
long does it take on your PC?

How long did it take you to type up my sample sms on your FR running
QTe? and why did you do that "Many Times", as you claim? seems like
wasted effort to me...

Also, if you'd like to explain why I should CARE IN THE SLIGHTEST that
you were using it long before anyone else, I'd love to hear it.

> umm, yes. I can access the menu just fine with my finger.
> Options -> Change Input Method.

ok, fair enough, so you can do it in 2 clicks, which cycles input
methods. Neat!

Unfortunately, however, as is your usual, you've not really answered my
question: I was interested in bringing up the list of input methods, not
cycling through them. It should be 2 clicks to change from predictive to
qwerty, and 2 to go back. You're advocating 2 clicks to get to the
qwerty keyboard, and 7 clicks to get back. How efficient.

> A use case is usually something that is very often used and repeatable 
> for any user. Typing 'antidisestablishmentarianism' is hardly typical.

So, you're going to squibble over semantics, rather than actually
discussing the issues at hand? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Sure sounds like
you're interested in quality.

In all the work I've ever done, I'd consider a worst-case-scenario to be
a use case, and very worthy of concern. As far as I'm concerned, if you
don't agree with that assessment, then that's a good explanation as to
why your software is shit.

> No, but he will need to add those words to the common dictionary before 
> they will show up in the list of words. To enter a word in the 
> dictionary - simply press and hold the letters method.

Are you saying that any word I type which isn't in the dictionary is
automatically added? if this is the case then why is the word 'wot',
which I use *all the time*, not in my dictionary? Where is
'antidisestablishmentarianism', which I typed earlier today?

> There are too many niche scenarios to target, so we targeted common, 
> most used ones.

...and when someone brings up one you didn't target? Ignore it? stick
your head in the sand? tell them that they're imagining it? This is a
really great way to write shit software.

News flash: Users don't care what your software is designed to do, or
what use cases you have designed it to meet, they're interested in what
it ACTUALLY DOES and whether it FITS THEIR REQUIREMENTS. This 'uncommon'
scenario which you'd like to ignore is a valid, real-world scenario, and
worthy of your attention if you're actually serious about writing decent
software. If you're not interested in writing decent software, then
fine, but you should at least stop pretending it's useful for anybody
other than you if you're not interested in other people's "scenarios"
(I'll refrain from using the term "use-case" because I'd hate for you to
confuse it with something you care about).

> No, it was not a suggested word, as it was longer than any suggestions 
> it could find, so it just took the letters I was typing in.

So... you've completely ignored the entire point of my example, and have
not addressed the concerns I raise at all.

> I did. its not in the dictionary. see my statement above.

So... you now have a *misspelled* word in your sms editor? and you not
only typed it out, but then corrected that to a properly spelled
'antidisestablishmentarianism', all in under 10 seconds? Obviously this
is not what you are claiming... What I'd suggest you do is try actually
reading my previous email, following my example steps, and making an
informed comment regarding my concerns. As opposed to completely
ignoring them and focusing on semantics, which is all you've really done
in this email.

> Once you do that, your missEnglish word will be in the dictionary, or it 
> should be. Then it will find it and you won't have to tap the whole word 
> ever again. Thus saving you hours of tapping time if you would have used 
> even a desktop keyboard.

Right, so you *are* saying that anything I type is added automatically...

So, you're telling me that if I accidentally misspell
'antidisestablishmentarianism', the misspelling will be added to the
dictionary, and from now on it will *only* suggest the misspelt version,
meaning that next time I am *forced* to type it letter-by-letter. wow,
how awesome!

I think, however, that you're really just digging a big fucking hole for
yourself, because 'antidisestablishmentarianism' is *NOT* in my
dictionary, and neither are any of the intentional mis-spellings I've
typed today (or, in fact, ever, as far as I can see). If I were you, I'd
steer clear of espousing the virtues of FEATURES THAT DO NOT WORK - it
just makes you sound even more stupid, really.

> no, I did not say that, you will only need to type with precision only 
> once. How is any system supposed to find a word not in the dictionary 
> that it uses?

Yeah, well, that's a really awesome feature, the only drawback being
that IT DOES NOT WORK. See above on sounding stupid by telling us about
the awesomeness of features that DO NOT WORK.

> No one said to use the little qwerty keyboard with fingers.


Lorn Potter wrote at 12:41pm:
>Then you can easily switch to the qwerty keyboard.

Lorn Potter wrote at 12:41pm:
> You can even use this with big fingers and hit in between letters
> and it will still work (suggestively) well.

Now, we were discussing the predictive keyboard, and you told me that I
"could easily switch to the qwerty keyboard"... which qwerty keyboard
were you referring to, exactly, if not the little qwerty keyboard? There
are only two: the predictive keyboard and the qwerty keyboard. Unless
you're trying to tell me that there's a difference between 'keyboard'
and 'docked keyboard'.

I call "bullshit".

Lorn, you're either completely full of shit, or you have no idea what
the fuck you're talking about. Due to the old adage "never attribute to
malice that which can be explained by stupidity", I'll give you an
opportunity to publicly apologise and explain exactly what the hell
you're on about...

> If you don't like it, either stop using it, or grab an editor and send 
> in a patch. 

I will stop using it the instant that something better becomes
available, or I get my new blackberry, whichever comes first.

If you're paying for my C++ on linux course, and you're going to
organise the time out of work etc that this would require for me, I'll
gladly start submitting patches.

>and stop the personal attacks. Its very unbecoming.

The personal attacks will stop as soon as you stop lying and/or being a
retard, whichever it is you're doing. I realise that your boss also
reads this list and that therefore you have to pretend like you've
actually written a good product, but when you're talking to intelligent
people, they're generally alot more likely to be able to call "bullshit"
when you start lying. You'll need to make your bullshit more
convincing... or are you just retarded?

> I am merely explaining to you the way it works.

No, you're trying to minimise the impact of my concerns, and pretend
that they're not valid. You're pretending like you haven't written shit
software when you have. You're acting like a complete retard, posting
what are either outright lies or uninformed bullshit. Either is
unacceptable from the developer of a product. You're not even explaining
the way it works, because IT DOESN'T WORK THE WAY YOU'RE SAYING. So
basically, you're proving to everybody that you're either towing the
corporate line and lying about your product, or a complete fucking idiot
who doesn't even know what he's talking about.

>> You just got pwned.
> o really...?

YA RLY, Big time. Twice Now.

So either stop the lying, or go have a coffee, or whatever you need to
get your brain to start working.

> What do you mean, it's always in my hands. It's in the hands of anyone 
> who wants it. Including you. It has been for a while now, too.

Semantics again. The fact that you rely so heavily on semantics and
aren't actually willing to sensibly discuss the problems with your
software indicates to me that you're probably not actually a retard, but
that you're simply towing the company line like a good little employee.

By "Hands", I meant "control" - hopefully the community will include
people who are actually interested in how their product fares in
real-world usage, and who will be honest, open, and not retarded. This
would mean that your stupid decisions based on these "use-cases" which
you seem to value so highly will get thrown out the window and replaced
with something useful, usable, and robust, and when somebody makes a
suggestion, it'll get implemented, rather than the developer saying
"Yeah, well, only 85% of users will want that, so we can't be fucked
implementing it. certainly not properly."

> I would like to see you write phone software that is even as close to 
> working as well as Qtopia.

Now I think I'll play the semantics game:

I'd like to see you point out somewhere where I made the claim that I could.

You'll note that I never said I could do a better job, only that *you
have done a shit job*. These are two completely different things... So,
what's your point?

> ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I'm guessing you'd know, you seem pretty stupendously ignorant,
especially in this last email...

...or is it malicious?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora - http://enigmail.mozdev.org


More information about the community mailing list