[QtExtended] some things

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:10:48 CET 2009

I do not agree with the rudeness of these posts, but I add my personal
opinion about some points :

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:12, Dale Maggee <antisol at internode.on.net> wrote:

> * A (totally, utterly, completely useless) handwriting recognition method.

I think it is close to be really usable, and could even be my input
method of choice.
But default patterns have to be edited, since it is not always easy to
use, and some letters pattern are too close to others (especially some
numbers have almost the same pattern as letters). Do not remember
which ones but maybe i and l and 1, g and 9, ....
So you have to take some time to make some clean patterns.

Also when using it I usually disable any dictionary help... (have to
draw a triangle then select a tiny menu... should not have to do that
each time).
And automatic capital letters also bother me. When you corrected
letters in a word, it will sometime capitalize again though you're in
the middle of a word.

> * A (almost completely useless, unless you happen to have a needle, 10
> minutes, and are completely still - keys are so tiny I struggle with a
> stylus) full qwerty terminal keyboard.
>
> * A (not quite completely useless, but working towards it, as per our
> discussion) 'predictive' keyboard, which the 2008.X one was obviously
> based on at some point.

Rarely used dictionary prediction, only bothered me.
First because it was often to write not-in-dictionary things such as
names, adresses, ...
And second because I do not have french dictionary. (But I never
really needed it either yet)

The real problem is that dictionary aid should be a plus, and not
penalize other typings :
-When not in dictionary, you must be able to select what you typed
exactly (or just continue typing -space-, and it does not replace your
typing).
-You must be able to easily correct whatever you type without deleting
the whole word before !