deleting characters on raster's keyboard

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 14:53:24 CET 2009

On Sunday 15 March 2009, Robin Paulson wrote:
> ever since i've had my freerunner, i've had problems using raster's
> keyboard (the one with dictionary lookup).
> the biggest issues are the swipes for space and backspace - each time
> i try to do either of them, i generally unintentionally press a
> letter. deleting one character usually becomes very frustrating,
> selecting then trying to delete unwanted letters.
>
> i assume i'm doing something wrong - is there a technique for doing
> this well? it's intensely frustrating to use

Possibly - it generally works for me, but I have a long history with resistive
touchscreens. You need to keep enough pressure for it to be a continuous swipe
rather than 2 or more events. The default layout has enough dead space at the
sides to start the stroke in, which may help. Alternatively you could add a
backspace key to the layout as there is in the terminal keyboard.