errors using mdbus commands

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 15:08:06 CET 2009

On Saturday 14 March 2009, Steve " 'dillo" Okay wrote:
> I'm having some problems with getting dbus GSM commands working from
> the command-line:
>
> root at om-gta02: # mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd /org/
> freesmartphone/GSM/Device org.freesmartphone.GSM.Device
> .GetInfo
> /org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device: GetInfo failed:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply
>
> root at om-gta02: # mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd /org/
> freesmartphone/GSM/Device org.freesmartphone.GSM.PDP.Ge
> tNetworkStatus
> /org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device: GetNetworkStatus failed:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply
> root at om-gta02: #
>
> I'm running FSO 5:
> root§om-gta02:ß# uname -a
> Linux om-gta02 2.6.29-rc2 #1 PREEMPT Wed Feb 25 16:01:57 CET 2009
> armv4tl unknown
> root§om-gta02:ß#
>
>  From reading the mailing list archives and the Wiki, it's not
> entirely clear to me if this is an invocation error on my part or an
> actual bug.
> Do I have to allocate the GSM resource via org.freesmartphone.ousaged
> first ?
> It seems like I should be able to do a GSM.Device.GetInfo from the
> command-line based on what I've read so far.
> Have any of the object pathnames changed between FSO 3 and 5 ? The
> examples on the Wiki say they're for FSO 3.

You can check http://docs.freesmartphone.org for the latest documentation as
things do change from time to time. You can also use mdbus with fewer
arguments to see what's available, the simplest being:
	mdbus -s

The GSM resource does need to be active and the antenna power enabled for most
GSM calls to work, but IIRC calls fail with a reasonably informative return
code rather than a timeout if it isn't there. I have on occasion managed to
get (bits of?) frameworkd to stop responding until I restart it, but never
worked out how to do it repeatably.