GPS emergency call standards

Chris Samuel chris at
Wed Mar 18 12:28:54 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009, arne anka wrote:

> well, it fits the wet dreams of germany's current top terrorists hunter
> (register everyone who buys a sim card) -- and there are no numbers
> mentioned of abuse.

In 2003 our local telco monopoly released numbers show about 70% of emergency
calls were not real - so about 7 million false calls to 000 (the Australian
emergency number) in *Melbourne* each year.  That's getting on for 2 per head
of population.

That includes hoaxes, mistakes, fax machines (yes, really), unlocked
mobiles pocket-dialing 000, school kids, people calling 000 to report a car
blocking their drive because their local police station went to an answer
phone, etc..

 Chris Samuel  :  :  Melbourne, VIC

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: