GPS emergency call standards

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Thu Mar 19 01:18:58 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 02:58:10PM +0100, Tilman Baumann wrote:
> Harald Welte wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:06:20PM +0100, Tilman Baumann wrote:
> >>
> >> PS: According to Wikipedia, 112 works on all GSM networks no matter if
> >> the number is a emergency number in tie state.
> >
> > that depends on what the network operator does.
>
> Yep, but there seems to be some international agreement on the
> significance of 112.
> I don't have any quote yet, but as far as I understood it is even
> required to by the GSM standards. But that might be wrong.

   A D112 AT command is mentioned in the 3GPP TS 07.07 specification which you
can get from here:
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/0707.htm
Quoting section "8.3	Enter PIN +CPIN":

	NOTE:	Commands which interact with ME that are accepted when ME is
		pending SIM PIN, SIM PUK, or PH‑SIM are: +CGMI, +CGMM,
		+CGMR, +CGSN, D112; (emergency call), +CPAS, +CFUN, +CPIN,
		+CDIS (read and test command only), and +CIND (read and test
		command only).

   I don't know where the D112 command is documented. I also haven't looked
through the commands to see if there is a loophole such that you can dial
112 without making an emergency call.

   Btw, a few days ago danish media had a news story about unintended
emergency calls. It appears that the answering machine offered by many
telcos is partly to blame. What happens is that you press and hold "1" to
speed dial your answering machine, press "1" to listen to a message and
press "2" to delete a message. Doing so leaves the number 112 on the
display...

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen