check filesystem every n mounts (was Re: qt extended stops receiving sms)

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 04:16:43 CET 2009

2009/3/19 Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>:
>> If it is the same for you (I mean you use QText from uSD) try fsck.
>
> i've been having the same problem with .12 installed on internal flash
>
> as it's internal flash and not microsd, i can't take it out and check
> it in my laptop, and i recall there are issues with fsck'ing a mounted
> filesystem - how can i check it without causing problems? is there a
> way to autocheck it at boot?

ok, in answer to my own question, i did some research on filesystem
checking, and discovered 'tune2fs' is the programme i need to set the
fs to be checked at regular intervals

this is the command i came up with, i.e. to check the internal flash
every 10 mounts

tune2fs -c 10 /dev/mtdblock6

i chose mtdblock6, as it's the filesystem listed in fstab, which is mounted to /

when i run this, it gives me an error:
tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/mtdblock6

which i don't entirely understand. any suggestions what's going on here?

cheers