Back to the Basics plan: Andy left

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 03:44:06 CET 2009

Dear List,

I can't express how sad I'm when I read Andy Green left Openmoko.

I do not know why he left (and it is not my business anyway), but
I know since Andy was at Openmoko the kernel side began
to form shape, and got things work. (suspend? anyone?)

I know that every people is replacable at a company, but show
me at least two people who made as much commit/day (and code quality)
what Andy did.
You cant, because there is no black magic here, no marketing
mantra, it is all public and we can see who commits what into the git tree.

So you just let go the single most valuable people at kernel side.
Nice try.

I do not know who is responsible for this desicion but I hope they are
not the same "design team" who had fired Rasterman.
Oh, and Harald Welte had left Openmoko too, but we never knew the exact details.

Who left?
At the hardware side: Werner and Joerg
at the software side: Mirko and hmm, nobody?

Im counting... How long will they stand?

If I had enough money I would just hire those people and form a new company and
outsource the fabrication to a chinese company
(that's exactly what everyone does including apple) and forget about Openmoko
(the name was a bad choice anyway ;)

I know this letter a bit harsh, but it is intented to address to whom
is concerned:
Get your head out of your @ss, sit down and think about a bit.
You must honor those people who gets the job done!

The best would be just hire back those valueable people, and work out how
they want to work. Even if they want to form a new (software) company, to
make sure this situation will never happen again.

I always wanted to buy the next model of openmoko, but I know exactly,
if it has
bugs (and surely it will), never or really slowly will be fixed
(as the current(=everyone gets fired) situation shows).

And if it will have hardware bugs, they will be never fixed by
Openmoko (as the company),
and I can just hope that some people offer *their free time and
knowledge* and fix
the problem UNOFFICIALLY (unless they did not get until fired).

Can you imagine where we were today without Andy and Rasterman?
I surely can: an unofficial/unsupported qtextended with an unoptimized
2.6.22 kernel.

All those nice things came from these (fired) people.

I'm afraid of the future.

Best regards,
 Laszlo