Back to the Basics plan: Andy left

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Mar 24 04:28:13 CET 2009

On Tue, March 24, 2009 2:03 pm, Mike Montour wrote:
> Laszlo KREKACS wrote:
>
>> I can't express how sad I'm when I read Andy Green left Openmoko.
>>
>> I do not know why he left (and it is not my business anyway), but
>> I know since Andy was at Openmoko the kernel side began
>> to form shape, and got things work. (suspend? anyone?)
>
> You should have stopped here IMHO. It really is none of our
> (community's) business, and it would be a lot more productive to just
> focus on the question of "where do we go from here?"

I have to say that I think the answer to that is "up stream".

Code doesn't have to be completely working before it goes into
the upstream kernel.  Just "supported" and "useful" are often enough.

I understand that there is work underway to get some of the openmoko
kernel code upstream.  I think that should be a major focus.  Once it
is all in, then work can go back to enhancing and bug fixing.
It would be awesome if mainline-2.6.30 or even 2.6.31 would run on
the Freerunner unchanged!

When it is all in mainline, it is a lot easier for more people
to contribute.

NeilBrown