Kernel git repository branch name understanding-- Help!

Daniel.Li lida_mail at 163.com
Sun Mar 29 03:26:49 CEST 2009

It seems that I have sent the wrong list, resend it again.

Dear List,

I have found that there are lots of branches in repository, see below:
  origin/HEAD
  origin/andy-tracking
  origin/andy-tracking-nohist
  origin/balaji-tracking
  origin/drm-tracking
  origin/master
  origin/master-nohist
  origin/mokopatches-tracking
  origin/mokopatches-tracking-nohist
  origin/pending-tracking
  origin/pending-tracking-nohist
  origin/proposed
  origin/stable
  origin/stable-tracking
  origin/stable-tracking-nohist

I always use andy-tracking branch, which is supposed to be the latest,
but he has left. Well, I'm quite confused which one is right for me
now.

Or maybe I have missed something, which is discussed earlier, if so, a
link is really appreciated.

Or can anyone help to let me know how to recognize those branches. From
the above branch names, I just can tell there might be personal/stable
branches. But I can't tell what's the version of kernel 2.6.24/2.6.29/
bla... bla...

So I have following questions on current branches:
a) What's kernel version in those branches 2.6.24/2.6.29/others...?

b) Which one is the main developing branch, where all personal branches
will be merged to by maintainer, might be someone from openmoko???

c) Current branch names and their classifications:
personal-tracking/developing/stable

My understanding of branches, but I don't have any idea about others:
Personal-tracking branches:
  origin/andy-tracking
  origin/andy-tracking-nohist
  origin/balaji-tracking
  origin/drm-tracking
stable branches:
  origin/stable
  origin/stable-tracking
  origin/stable-tracking-nohist

d)What's the difference between stable/stable-tracking/stable
tracking-nohist.

Note: Later stable tracking and stable-tracking-nohist (no commit
history)???!!!???!

Well, if I'm wrong, please correct me. As I just wanna keep an eye on
just 1~2 branches, suitable for me. Thanks in advance.

--
Daniel.Li <lida_mail at 163.com>
PALFocus (http://palfocus.oicp.net)