Kernel git repository branch name understanding-- Help!

Nelson Castillo nelsoneci at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 03:49:52 CEST 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Daniel.Li <lida_mail at 163.com> wrote:
> It seems that I have sent the wrong list, resend it again.

What a cross-post! It's a weekend. Relax :-)

> Dear List,
>
> I have found that there are lots of branches in repository, see below:
>  origin/HEAD
>  origin/andy-tracking
>  origin/andy-tracking-nohist
>  origin/balaji-tracking
>  origin/drm-tracking
>  origin/master
>  origin/master-nohist
>  origin/mokopatches-tracking
>  origin/mokopatches-tracking-nohist
>  origin/pending-tracking
>  origin/pending-tracking-nohist
>  origin/proposed
>  origin/stable
>  origin/stable-tracking
>  origin/stable-tracking-nohist
>
> I always use andy-tracking branch, which is supposed to be the latest,
> but he has left. Well, I'm quite confused which one is right for me
> now.
> Or maybe I have missed something, which is discussed earlier, if so, a
> link is really appreciated.

Check this out:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Kernel_branches
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2008-November/006945.html

It seems a new stable kernel might be forked from andy-tracking soon.
I guess you will be on the safe side watching andy-tracking until
something changes (The branch policy might be changed). Werner and
collaborators who are more experienced in Git than we are have made a
few suggestions.

Stay tuned in the kernel list in case a change gets implemented.

Nelson.-