[debian] preferred working kernel at the moment?

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Mon Mar 30 23:12:24 CEST 2009

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Fox Mulder <Quakeman1 at gmx.net> writes:
>> i wonder which kernel is the "best" or lets say the most stable and
>> working für debian at the moment. Since i upgraded from the last 2.6.24
>> kernels to the 2.6.28/29 i have more problems than benefits. :/
>
> I have tested andy-tracking b8b36e5ec3db71d for a long time and it
> seems to be quite stable.
>
>> The really big improvment from 2.6.24->2.6.28/29 is that the standby
>> time has improved really much. With this i can firstly carry the phone
>
> What's the contents of the current_now file in /sys in both cases
> immediately after resume?
I added a script in /etc/apm/scripts which logs the current before and
after resume. With kernel andy-tracking 1e257a0e99817a33 it shows 126mA
right after resume. But this seems really high because my fr only uses
49mA when idle with backlight turned off and ~113mA idle with backlight
on (60%). So i don't think that this current is helpful at all.
And which other case do you mean with "both" cases?

>> problem is that after suspend the backlight mechanism doesn't recognize
>> a touch on the screen anymore. Therefor after it dims and gets dark it
>
> That sounds really really odd. Can you reproduce this without having
> frameworkd running (it tries to control backlight too)?
Today i updated all packages in debian (quite a lot) and after reboot
the "backlight not responding" problem doesn't happen after
suspend/resume. So i can't reproduce this problem anymore at the moment.

> Which X server are you running?
I use xserver-xglamo because only with this xrandr is working.

>> Another problem is that the memory consumption on debian is much higher
>> and the system responsiveness is much slower than before. But this could
>> also be a problem of other system components which are updated on a
>> regular basis.
>
> ps -eorss,cmd | sort -n?
Please see attachment.

Any idea why wlan isn't working anymore?

Because if the backlight problem doesn't appear anymore my main problem
is only the non working wlan. Not only dhcp is not working. When i add
an ip by hand it also doesn't work.

But "iwlist eth0 scan" shows my wlan access-point and after "ifup eth0"
(with no dhcp answer) the command "iwconfig eth0" shows that i should be
connected to my AP. Interesting is that iwconfig shows link quality
0/94, signal level -95dBm and noise level 0dBm. But when i do a "iwlist
eth0 scan" it shows link quality 24/94, signal level -69dBm and noise
level -95dBm for my wlan. These differences in signal quality looks
quite strange to me.

Another mysterious thing is that the wlan connection seems to be
oscillating. When i look at the wlan status page of my AP (dd-wrt linux)
i can see that the wlan client (my fr) is connected for a few seconds
and than disappears in the client list. After a few seconds it appears
and then disappears again and this repeats after a few seconds all the
time i have wlan activated on my fr. I don't think that the problem is
my AP because i got another pc connected to it with a stable connection
and dhcp working.

Ciao,
     Rainer