[shr] Headset detect?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Mar 31 11:29:34 CEST 2009

Paul wrote:
>> I though it was fixed, maybe not.
>> When I connect the headset, I hear the audio from both the external speaker of the FR
>> and the Left headset at the same time. (there is no sound from the right headset)
>>
>> I though the headset was autodetect...
>> How can I fix it?
>>

> Almost sounds as if you do not push the headset connector in far enough.

I think there is something wrong with the FR headset socket.
I have tried several headsets as well as several converter plugs for
those headsets that have the bigger plugs.

If I push the plug all the way in, I get sound in one channel only. Pull
it a litle out, and I get nice stereo. Pull it some more out, and I get
a very weak stereo. (Possibly missing the ground connection, so the two
channels connect in series?) Pull further out, and weird things happens,
sound in left only or right only, or perhaps the main speaker wakes up.

Of course all those "not quite in" positions are unstable, the plug
easily slides from one position to another.

I notice that the socket is slightly recessed. Perhaps it was meant to
sit a little bit further in, so that the plug could rest against the
casing? And then someone in design moved it slightly on the circuit
board, or moved the board itself?

I experiment with putting o-rings on the pkug so it don't go too deep
in. But then it has a tendency to slide out instead.

Helge Hafting