Solar charger (was Re: News Openmoko Shop Pulster)

Christian Gagneraud cgagneraud at techworks.ie
Mon May 4 17:35:50 CEST 2009

Daniel.Li wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 20:32 +0800, Daniel.Li wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 08:42 +0800, Daniel.Li wrote:
>>> :) Humm... I think I'd better let them to make a bid for small
>>> quantity. :D
>
> Sorry, I slipped.
>
> latest news from factory.
>
> YL-S01: 26.47 USD
> YL-S02: 20.59 USD
> YL-S03: 10.00 USD

Hi Daniel,

I use to use this kind of solar charger (a YB-E5008) during my last
holidays (3 weeks in Iceland, by bike), and i can tell you that they
are not suitable for smartphone. I couldn't keep my Nokia N95/8GB charged.

When they say that you can charge your solar charger with sun light in
8/12H, it means actually 8/12h exposed under the sun light at its
zenith, on the equator of the earth!
By experience, i can tell you that you will need _at least_ two sunny
days to get it charged properly (during which you took care of
orienting the charger as the sun moves).

You have to be aware of these constraints as well:
- You can't charge your phone while you charge the charger itself
- If the charger is not fully charge (the light is not green), it
won't charge your phone, _at all_!

As well, i would advice to use a charger which has at least 2 times
the capacity of your phone (FR has a 3.7V/1200mAh battery).

On the 3 chargers you propose here, and the 3 chargers i've proposed
earlier, i would be only interested in 2 of them:, the SC019 and the
SC020, mainly because these are the only ones which has internal
battery with a capacity >= 3000Ah

Regards,
Chris