Ain't it funny..

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau maxposedon at gmail.com
Tue May 5 08:43:22 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 09:27:59 Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> The community work seems to be slowing down now (because of the
> summer?) and the the community doesn't seem to be pushing together for
> One Working Distro. We have about 15 distributions around but as far
> as I know (I haven't tested them all..), they all are 'developer
> skills required', not 'consumer friendly'. We've had Freerunner around
> now for about a year and there's still not a proper web browser around
> (packaged, 'just works'). Slow/buggy/not supporting JavaScript/etc...
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Browser_review
>
> OM2009 testing 2 was released some days ago. So far ~3 e-mails on the
> list about it.
> New version of Mokomaze was released some days ago, too. Around 50 mails.
> To me this tells that people are more interested in Mokomaze than OM2009.
>
> But still, we have open hardware that can be used as a daily phone.

It is good time for you, start 16th distro, maintain it, and become famous. :)

I don't think that is slowing down, and I'm sure community shouldn't work on
one stable distro, just because software is more important. As for me I think
classic distros maintainers(from Debian to Gentoo) should work on maintaining
SHR/FSO/OM projects, because they have much more experience and resources to
maintain software, and devs should developing.

I'm using some not-very-latest SHR-testing, it is stable enough for me to use
it as every day phone, and read IRC in subway.

And it is fun, results not so fun as process, so you can start effort smth,
and you will be more lucky. :)