Ain't it funny..

Guillaume Chereau charlie137 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 11:19:36 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:22:03PM +0530, rakshat hooja wrote:
>> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:
>>
>> > The community work seems to be slowing down now (because of the
>> > summer?) and the the community doesn't seem to be pushing together for
>> > One Working Distro. We have about 15 distributions around but as far
>> > as I know (I haven't tested them all..), they all are 'developer
>> > skills required', not 'consumer friendly'. We've had Freerunner around
>> > now for about a year and there's still not a proper web browser around
>> > (packaged, 'just works'). Slow/buggy/not supporting JavaScript/etc...
>> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Browser_review
>> >
>> > OM2009 testing 2 was released some days ago. So far ~3 e-mails on the
>> > list about it.
>> > New version of Mokomaze was released some days ago, too. Around 50 mails.
>> > To me this tells that people are more interested in Mokomaze than OM2009.
>> >
>> > But still, we have open hardware that can be used as a daily phone.

>> I have just moved from 2008.12 Kustomizer to SHR Testing and it works as a
>> daily phone just fine. Chatted on pidgin for a long time yesterday without
>> any problem for the first time. I shifted as I am traveling for the 2 months
>> and wont be in office for regular updates so needed a stable phone for
>> calling and sms.
>>
>> I think once paroli becomes non full screen  (if it already has announcement
>> needed) more people will be interested in OM 2009 as they can have a stable
>> phone and also play mokomaze
>
> Mirko helped me with this!
>
> Edit /etc/paroli.cfg (or /etc/paroli/paroli.conf, look for it since I don't know
> from heart and the phone is in another room), and set to true the activated
> status of "advanced" and restart paroli.
>
> Then press aux for about 2 seconds until the menu appears, select phone, then
> profile, then illume. WARNING: be tolerant and wait a few seconds (maybe 10 at
> most) until the UI stabilizes.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Rui
>
> --
> Grudnuk demand sustenance!
> Today is Setting Orange, the 52nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3175
> + No matter how much you do, you never do enough -- unknown
> + Whatever you do will be insignificant,
> | but it is very important that you do it -- Gandhi
> + So let's do it...?

I am also still working on Tichy [1] when I have time (that is not so
much I am afraid). I plan a new release soon. The next version will
(hopefully) have : full screen switch, improved keyboard, a new style,
a terminal application, support for exporting PIM data to org-mode
format, and a lot of code cleaning.

-gui

[0] http://code.google.com/p/tichy/

--