[Om2008.x] Announcing BlueMoko 1.0b1

DJDAS djdas at djdas.net
Wed May 6 11:10:48 CEST 2009

Dear list,
this is for announcing the first beta release of BlueMoko, a PyGTK GUI
handler for the bluetooth stack.
ATM the program handles powering on/off, mode setting (visible,
invisible, connectable), scanning for devices and pairing (with PIN too)
but only with headset devices (pc, smartphone and others are planned in
future versions).
What works: A2DP support, connects with headset (tried with a Calypso)
and routes default PCM audio to it so players can output directly
without any modifications
Partially working: headset profile, I have still some issues (I think
depending on ALSA configuration but can't find an always reproducible
way to handle it) so sometimes it works other time not...plus, after
pairing with the headset you have to manually (ATM) handle the alsa
state loading during the call (using the alsa state provided by Angus in
the Wiki)
Not working: connecting with other BT devices but audio.

I still don't support FSO based distributions as I have no time to
install them but some friends will help me (or anyone who want to
participate is welcome ;) ) and there is no opk package yet (hope during
next weekend after some code fixing).
You can grab the sources at the project CVS here[1]: you only need these
3 files: bluemoko-bin, bluemoko.py and bluetooth.py, simpyl copy in a
folder and launch the bin.
The sources are based upon the older scripts provided by Angus several
months ago (thank you very much for the starting point) and I learned to
program python since January so don't expect good code ;) by reading the
ShortOM source code (useful for training with PyGTK too, thanks to Luca :) )
Dependencies: PyGTK, Bluez-3.33
Final note: if the program complains about "not running on a Neo",
probably your /sys files to access powering and resetting bluetooth are
different from mine, so you can modify their path on rows 29 and 30 of
the bluetooth.py source.

Thank you in advance, bye!

[1] http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/bluemoko/