[SHR-Unstable] Forcing fast-charge

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:19:21 CEST 2009

2009/5/7 Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>

> Correct - usbdevstat allows 100mA, 500mA, 1A, and suspend (Tbl. 98, MBCC7),
> anyway...
> Setting chg_curlim won't help whatsoever, as you can set it only during
> device
> powered up and system running, and during this time the system consumption
> USB-to-SYS will add to the chg_curlim you set. So you exceed intended USB
> current by setting chg_curlim to the value you intend for USB current, just
> to shutdown device after that and hope to reach 'correct' USB current then
> eventually - that's silly.

In my case I used setting chg_curlim also for when phone is on.
Yes chg_curlim does not help to force usb real current to ie. 750m exactly.
But ! This way I could have my phone use approx 750mA when on (by setting
chg_curlim to 500mA).

Of course it may sometimes consume up to 1A if needed (the peaks I was
talking about...).
But this is ok in my case for my weak dumb charger.
What would not be ok is having chg_curlim not forced and phone pulling 1A
for 30 minutes continuously while charging the battery faster than I need...
(And usb_curlim to 500mA would on the other hand not charge quickly enough
(about 300mA).)