OpenMoko and LCD TV

roguemoko at roguewrt.org roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Fri May 8 01:57:26 CEST 2009

On 8/05/2009 1:36 AM, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> Am Mi  6. Mai 2009 schrieb roguemoko at roguewrt.org:
>> Although they become redundant pretty quick in our circles, they are
>> great for the non-technical. I just wish they would support some viable
>> way of upgrading/flashing to support more codecs. I don't think I'll be
>> seeing an rs232 port an LCD TV anytime soon :)
>
> 32LG3000
>
> http://de.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcdtv_32lg3000.jhtml
>
> • 32“ (81cm) Bildschirmdiagonale
> • Bildschirmgröße 708 x 398mm im 16:9 Format
> • 1.366 x 768 Pixel Auflösung, 8 bit Farbauflösung
> • Spitzenhelligkeit 500cd/m² / Kontrastverhältnis 15.000:1 (dynamisch)
> • Film Mode (3:2 / 2:2 Pull Down), Just Scan, Eye Care, Fresh White
> • HDMI Deep-Color-Technologie
> • 1 DVB-T-&  analoger Hyperband-Tuner mit 8-Tage DVB-T EPG
> • Eingangssignale: VGA-SXGA, PAL / SECAM / NTSC, SDTV&  HDTV (480i, 480p,
> 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p mit 30fps, 60fps, 24fps und 50fps)
> • Invisible Speaker System
> • Clear-Voice-Technologie für kristallklaren Sound
> • SRS TruSurround XT Soundoptimierung
> • Expert Mode, ISF ready, AV Mode
> • Eingänge: PC, RS-232C, PC Audio, 2 Scart (1 x RGB), Video, S-Video, 3 HDMI
> ________________^^^^^^^  +USB (Service)
>
>   (1.3) mit HDCP und
> SIMPLINK, Komponente (YUV), Kopfhöreranschluss
> • Gehäusefarbe: Pianolackdesign
> • + 20° drehbarer Standfuß
> • HD ready

Well there you go :) ... maybe I just didn't look properly, I probably
do have one ;)

One of my media players supports upgrading via rs232 but I've yet to
find an image and a documented method of upgrade. So despite them
existing, I'm not holding my breath for an upgrade path that consumers
are able to perform. I imagine this would be brand specific however. Or
maybe you just have to take it to an authorised service centre ... or
maybe it's just there in case they decide at some point it might be
useful to support their consumers. I've yet to put more than a passing
thought into it ... but it's good to know some manufacturers are leaving
the option open :)

Sarton