[SHR-Unstable] Forcing fast-charge

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 10:23:02 CEST 2009

2009/5/7 Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>

> So you think the STANDARD kernel should care about this rather exotic case
> which isn't specified properly (how long would this charger see the "1A
> sometimes"?) and needs massive care from userland anyway? I mean, there's
> some reason PCF50633 is built this way, huh? We got enough problems caring
> about real hw-glitches in this chip. I don't think it's recommendable to
> tweak it even further far beyond what's normal usecase.

All I want from kernel is allowing me to set whatever values I need for both
usb_curlim and chg_curlim.

(also when charging from an external battery pack it is very usefull too not
to pump all its juice just to fill internal battery -> chg_curlim set to
very low)

> btw your concept isn't working as you said yourself the USB current is
> reset
> to 500mA on powerdown. So how could you charge with 750mA? If system is
> powered up odds are it will take away 250mA. On powerdown state it seems to
> me there's no way at all to charge with 750mA. I really don't see the
> rationale behind all this.
>
> /j

Personnaly I am not sure but it did not look like usb current was reset on
powerdown when I tested (at least it was not reset to 100mA after I had to
force it to 500 or 1000 on my dumb charger, and this is what I needed more
!)

Well, anyway, even if not perfect (chg_curlim following usb_curlim when it
is changed), these settings proved really helpfull for me !