Ain't it funny..

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Fri May 8 11:02:36 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM, arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de> wrote:

>>> nope. he's just a troll.
>>>

>> Before I bought My Neo, I was told by OM that it would work as a phone.
>
> dale, you told us all of this already -- at least ten times.
> you put up your freerunner for sale at ebay months ago.
> you don't write anything productive on this list.
>
> why don't you just shut up?
> unsubscribe from this list -- you don't use the fr, you don't contribute
> to either community or development.
> the only thing you do on this list is trolling.

Hmmm ... I do contribute and I do use my freerunner (sometimes, mostly
for testing only). So I want to react for once as well:

You see, in the end, Dale's not that wrong: a year after I bought the
phone, I would at least expect a stable simple phone (I couldn't care
less about the extras), but as a company, Openmoko didn't provide
this. Therefore community releases were born, but they shouldn't be
necessary, only additional (or as an alternative). In the freerunner
case, only the community provides software for the phone.
A year later, I have to admit, I sometimes think about selling my
phone as well. I'm still using my old phone as stable phone, simply
because I don't want to recharge each day or reboot my phone every now
and then because unsuspend fails again, or wsod, or risk having my
phone not waking up on incoming calls, etc ...
QtExtendedImproved is as close as it gets for me ... Koolu promised
many times a stable android release, but there also: no release,
months after original promise (I mean, really: low priority for the
"feature" 'entering your sim PIN' ???).
Sometimes people have to face the facts as well. I *love* opensource,
I don't even own a windows pc, look up my name in google if you want
proof. I've worked hard for this phone in the last months, but is it
really worth it? What will I do if the phone breaks? Dunno yet ...
Every project, even an open project, totally in the opensource hands,
can fail ...

Franky