Ain't it funny..

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Fri May 8 17:24:13 CEST 2009

Hi Steve,

I appreciate your replying to this thread.

I would however point out that I believe that you should have already
been aware of this issue before I raised it in this public mailing list:
I sent three emails to Openmoko asking about getting a refund, and
received no reply to any of them. I've pasted these emails below, after
the "---BEGIN EMAIL THREAD---" Line. You were cc'd in two of these
emails (the ones saying "I've had no reply"). I eventually got a
response from Tony Tu on the trac ticket, at which point I stopped
sending emails to you.

As I've indicated, I've already gone through the process of requesting a
refund for the device, and this was declined. I think you should be able
to find all the info you need at https://support.openmoko.com/trac/ticket/36

I think that if you want to discuss the refund issue with me, it may be
more appropriate to do so off-list, but I realise that I may have
created a public image issue for you here (given my usage of the words
"thieves" and "defrauded"), and that you may therefore want to keep this
public. If you're willing to work with me to resolve my grievances and
prove my assertions incorrect, then I'd be more than happy to come back
here and retract my previous statements once it's resolved :).  That
might be more appropriate, rather than flooding the mailing list with
what will effectively be back-and-forth personal conversations between
you and me. but if you want to discuss it in this public place I have no
problem with that either - up to you.

Since having my application for a refund declined, I had come to kind of
accept that I had "been screwed", and I have since bought another phone.
Since I did that, I've (in my less angry moments) come to see the FR as
a kind-of-cool little open-source device, as long as you don't want to
use it as a phone. I haven't really done anything much with it, because
so far I've been too angry to really even look at it, but I will admit
that it does have potential for something, even if it's not as a
reliable phone.

(That's my whole point, by the way: That it's not a usable phone, even
after a year of waiting, and I bought it because I wanted a working open
source phone, and I was told that the FR would meet that requirement).

I would therefore perhaps be open to accepting a partial refund and
keeping the device as a PDA-sized linux device (The AU Laws allow for
that), even if I never use it. But I think that if this were to happen I
 would maybe not feel cheated anymore and could possibly once again
enjoy participating constructively in the community.

I Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
- -Dale

- ---BEGIN EMAIL THREAD---