Replace battery in suspend

Petr Vanek vanous at
Sat May 9 16:10:13 CEST 2009

On Sat, 9 May 2009 14:49:59 +0200
Marcel <tanuva at> (M) wrote:

>Am Samstag, 9. Mai 2009 14:20:08 schrieb Christian Rüb:
>> Hi,
>> is it possible to do the following:
>>  * power off GSM
>>  * suspend
>>  * plug external USB power supply (can do 100,500 and 1000mA)
>>  * open device and exchange battery
>>  * resume again
>>  * power on GSM
>>  * (optional) unplug USB power supply
>> I do not have a second battery (yet) but this scenario might occur
>> while GPS tracking and not having the possibility to charge. I
>> already have this external USB battery but it will not be enough to
>> cover all the time I need my Frerunner running.
>> I read somewhere that the GSM alway gets its power directly from the
>> battery, thus my interest in turning it off before suspending. Can
>> this work or might this even break anything?
>> Thanks for your help.
>At least on Debian the system resumes once you plug in the external
>power so you would have to do that before suspending. I already took
>the battery out while the Neo was on usb power and it still ran - but
>I didn't re- insert it then (because I was intending a "hard"
>reboot ;) ) so I don't know if that could damage anything.

you don't need to suspend - just plug usb in and replace battery. iirc
this should do no harm to neo... i do this all the time. i am even
thinking of a tiny small usb battery (20sec of runtime is sufficient)
for quick battery replacement...

of course, gsm is powered directly so it will loose power... for the
time of replacement

Petr Vaněk